[thrive_headline_focus title=”0008: Coping with PTSD for Family Members Living with an Addict” orientation=”left”] [shareaholic app=”follow_buttons” id=”26231114″]
Why do so many addicts relapse? For anyone that is not struggling with addiction, it makes no sense. But, since addiction is medicating some problem, the addict is going to have to find another form of medication that is equally effective. Easier said than done. That’s why they so often relapse. We suggest a different approach. Get to the underlying cause and treat the symptoms. In most cases, those symptoms include trauma. To deal with an addict in your family that is trying to cope with PTSD, you are going to need some help.
In this episode, you will:
- Understand the effects of trauma on your mind and body
- Determine the root traumatic experience of your emotional reactions to stressors
- Learn the differences between PTSD and trauma
Subscribe to the Show
Time Stamped Show Notes
You can listen to the Episode right here on the RecoverYES site Using the Player Below.
(Click the time stamp … if available … to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:12] -In the news recently, it was the Indy Star … there was an article talking about drug overdoses. In particular, how people who have overdosed are treated in the hospital.
- [04:10] -Aware Appreciation.
- [06:26] -Since addiction is medicating some problem, the addict is going to have to find another form of medication that is equally effective. Easier said than done.
- [07:00] -Why is it important to understand trauma? If trauma is fueling these undesirable thoughts and ultimately the behaviors . . .
- [15:54] -Trauma is not a one size fits all. The important thing is to know what’s going on with you. And, as you are trying to get to the bottom of what’s really going on with your loved one . . .
- [16:31] -It is all too common to dismiss our traumatic life experiences. Hey, we survived! We shouldn’t be complaining.
- [17:38] -How do I love the addict when he loves the drugs more than anything . . . including his family?
If there were any specific resources referred to in this Episode, you’ll find them here.