[thrive_headline_focus title=”0012: Twelve-Step Group Support for Family Members of Addicts” orientation=”left”] [shareaholic app=”follow_buttons” id=”26231114″]
Many Recovery Stakeholders have attended 12-step meetings to show support for the recovery process. While this can be an eye-opener, it can quickly become an act of codependence. Rather, the 12-step program that is appropriate for the Recovery Stakeholder is not the same program that an addict attends. These programs for family and friends of addicts are companion programs with a similar structure. Some find just what they need with these groups. Others find them lacking.
In this episode, you will:
- Get an overview of the positives and negatives of 12-step Anon programs
- Learn about Anon programs for Recovery Stakeholders
- Find community resources that may help aid their own recovery
Subscribe to the Show
Time Stamped Show Notes
You can listen to the Episode right here on the RecoverYES site Using the Player Below.
(Click the time stamp … if available … to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:33] -I like to find stories that help us know this to be true and this one is no different. This story is from a site called Hightimes.com. It talks about marijuana or cannabis, which is a topic that is quite controversial these days.
- [07:45] -Aware Appreciation.
- [10:00] -Many Recovery Stakeholders have attended 12-step meetings to show support for the recovery process. While this can be an eye-opener, it can quickly become an act of codependence.
- [10:34] -The 12-step programs for stakeholders are commonly referred to as Anon programs … Al-Anon, Nar-Anon. CoDA is not really considered an Anon program because it’s not a companion program.
- [15:13] -Some of the limitations of the 12-step programs are related to what I’ve just shared … that everybody is using the same piece of material.
- [18:22] -You may have gathered that I see both sides of the coin where 12-step programs and Anon programs are concerned.
- [20:30] -I’m feeling guilty. I asked my son and his girlfriend to leave my house. I just can’t do it anymore more.
If there were any specific resources referred to in this Episode, you’ll find them here.