0015: Making a Change - How Bad Habits and Addictions are Stopped
It is helpful to understand the stages of change so that you can recognize them … for yourself and others. Trying to make a change when you haven’t moved to the appropriate stage will do nothing more than increase resistance. At a minimum, that will make the change process way more difficult. As Recovery Stakeholders, there are changes that everyone in the family system needs to make … that will make living with an addict (in recovery or not) much easier.
In this episode, you will:
- Learn to ease the struggle that accompanies change
- Understand what is required to change any habit … and make it stick
- Discover the warning signs that flash before a relapse happens
Subscribe to the Show
Time Stamped Show Notes
You can listen to the Episode right here on the RecoverYES site Using the Player Below.
(Click the time stamp ... if available ... to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [02:13] -I found this article at Psychcentral and I thought it was really interesting. I had not heard of this particular stage of change referred to in this way previously.
- [04:57] -Aware Appreciation.
- [07:12] -What happens when someone breaks through denial? They move into the next stage of change. It is helpful to understand the stages so that you can recognize them.
- [07:51] -I want to open this episode by going through the Stages of Change with you so that you really understand what we’re working with here.
- [13:21] -You want to focus a great deal of energy on the Determination, Planning and Preparation Stage. Create a good blueprint that addresses all the things …
- [19:16] -It’s safe to say that any habit we’re engaging in is providing some relief. Of course, some habits are healthy and aren’t accompanied by unwanted side effects.
- [19:58] -I see so many stories about multiple trips to rehab … up to 15 times. My 24 year old daughter is in rehab for the first time.
If there were any specific resources referred to in this Episode, you'll find them here.