Why doesn’t change stick? It defies logic that an addict would muscle their way to sobriety only to fall back into addiction’s trap. Yet it happens over and over. As Recovery Stakeholders, we have a lot at stake. We can relate on some level. We managed to make some change we really wanted to make. And before we even finished celebrating, we found ourselves right back where we started … maybe even worse off. It’s important to understand what causes relapse. Once we understand why it happens, we can get out in front of it to prevent it.
In this episode, you will:
- Understand what causes relapse and how to avoid it
- Differentiate between relapse and a “slip”
- Learn the warning signs for a relapse and what the stakeholder’s role is in recovery
Time Stamped Show Notes
You can listen to the Episode right here on the RecoverYES site Using the Player Below.
(Click the time stamp … if available … to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:48] -This article that I came across was in The Lasallian and it talks about this program that is focused on training families and helping professionals so that they better understand addiction
- [05:27] -Aware Appreciation.
- [07:44] -Why doesn’t change stick? It defies logic that an addict would muscle their way to sobriety, only to fall back into addiction’s trap.
- [08:20] -I want to start by differentiating between a slip and a relapse. It’s important that we differentiate between these two terms because we’re going to treat a slip much differently than a full-blown relapse.
- [17:04] -Our ReachYES Program at RecoverYES.com … we provide coaching and help point you in the right direction to get the additional help you need to deal with the issues that you are working with.
- [17:40] -We use a phrase often at RecoverYES.com. “Muscling your way to sobriety.” You may have even heard me use this phrase today in this episode.
- [18:26] -My son went to prison for three years for manufacturing meth. He’s been home for several months and I’m starting to worry. He is doing everything correct.
If there were any specific resources referred to in this Episode, you’ll find them here.